Thursday, February 2, 2012

Toddler Whisperer

So as many of you know, I've been potty training Logan. We're on day 12 and still not potty trained. Oh sure, we've had accident free days and days without ever peeing in his bed but not without a fight. I have to force him to go when he wakes up, before he goes to bed, before we leave the house, when he grabs himself or shows any indication of needing to "go." All my attention and energy is on Logan and making sure he "goes" where he's supposed to go. That's progress though right? He can hold it when he needs to and he can go when he needs to. Now I just need to get him to tell me when he needs to go or just go into the bathroom on his own. He's done it plenty of times before. Seems simple enough. Well now he's started peeing in his bed instead of crying for us to come or getting out of bed to go toward the bathroom. He's also started standing right in front of me and peeing on the floor, or the couch for that matter. All the while looking me right in the eye laughing about it, knowing exactly what he's doing. I've read books, researched online, asked everyone I know what worked for them, got every one's opinions and 2 cents whether I wanted it or not. I've tried everything. He picked out his underwear, was told how big he was, had him throw out his diapers for the last time, had him watch daddy and tried to get him to be like him, tried shooting cheerios in the toilet, tried having him run around with all his clothes on and tried it with all his clothes off. Any time he goes in the potty, he gets all things potty party...treats, stickers, toys, getting to leave the house, more positive feedback than I ever thought I could muster, etc. All that worked to an extent. It's almost like now he's over it. He'll do it when he wants something, but if not, he just goes where he pleases. I give him the talk. Where are you supposed to go potty? With a huge mischievous grin on his face he'll answer "the floor, the couch, the bed, on my race cars" usually wherever he just finished peeing. I'll ask again making sure this isn't a communication problem and I get the same blatantly wrong answers and a laugh. He'll eventually give the right answer but it's all a game to him. Did I mention this is attempt #3? This is the last and FINAL attempt. Oh I listened to those of you who said "he'll go when he's ready" even though I knew he was ready, I tried to believe you anyway because I was exhausted, frustrated, and beat down. So where do I go from here? Logan is obviously a rare case so I figure I'm done listening to the "experts" and reading their books. And I'm done listening to what worked for you, or your mom, or your friend, or your sister. I'm changing things up and it's gonna get much worse before it gets better. Since he's purposefully doing the opposite of what he's supposed to and I'm done dealing with his shenanigans, it's time for punishment. Oh I've read all about how that will really mess a kid up but I'm out of options. Logan's always been a stubborn, strong-willed, rebelious child but when I've played some serious hardball, eventually he straightens up and we never have a problem with it again. I used to force him to go sit on his potty chair when I would see him hold himself, but that would always result in a fight and then a successful pee, or whatever but I can't do this forever. I still make him go before bed but now I'm having him choose to go. If he says he doesn't have to go, I don't make him. This is usually what happens. He holds it, I continually ask him to tell me when he needs to go, he keeps saying "no need go potty" and then he inevitably pees his pants. When that happens, he goes in time out. That's only been successful to an extent so today I've added taking toys and TV away. It's awful and I hate it all. As if potty training wasn't horrible enough, I've made it even more miserable which I didn't even think was possible. I don't know for sure that this will work but I'm done trying to be politically correct and I'm just gonna do what I think will work for him. This kid is a species all on his own. What I do know is this is one of our many over dramatic power struggles and no matter how bad I want to, I'm not giving up. This is one fight I cannot lose. So why document this awfulness that is my life right now? Well, I know my child is MUCH more difficult than most but, it seems to me, that potty training is a little like child birth with parents. The amazing result of actually potty training your child just completely overshadows all the pain and suffering you went through to get that result. So here I am, documenting it so I don't say something like "Oh fruit snacks, otter pops, and stickers were the trick." or "Potty training wasn't that bad with Logan." Because that's not true at all. Fruit snacks may help but THERE IS NO TRICK. Otherwise, I would have a potty trained child by now. So what I'm really hoping for is a miracle. God knows I've been fervently praying for one. In the mean time, if anyone knows a "toddler whisperer" or a "potty wizard" of some sort, send them my way because we need some supernatural powers in this house. If not, just pray for us because that's the only way that Logan will ever get potty trained and that I'll be able to avoid a complete mental breakdown.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

I'm not going to laugh. Okay, I maybe did just a little bit at some of your phrasing. But it sounds terrible, and I really, truly feel for you. I don't have any magic answers for you, or even any advice. Just prayers. You sound like you need a break, but that's not possible right now, is it? As much as we love our kids, there are times when I wonder why it is that I'm trying so hard to attain an exaltation that consists of bearing endless children. Hang in there, and give yourself a huge reward when success is achieved and you can take a break. :)

Alicia said...

Oh I'm glad you laughed. I'd hoped my humor could come out under all that sarcasm and complaining.

Kerilee Law said...

Love the brutal honesty. I have a scrapbook page about potty-training Savannah - and how horrible potty-training truly is. Hate it. Remind me again why I keep having kids? I'll eventually have to potty-train them all. *sigh*

Elder Matthew Bair said...

You are right. It is time to pull out the big guns. Good luck. And I want to go on record that I never said there were any tricks. There is only hell.
Lisa

The Higbee 5! said...

Oh, Alicia. I've had to pull the punishment card with my 2nd son. He refused to be potty trained because he was constantly watching me change baby sisters diapers, and it was easier to use diapers than to stop playing and run to the potty. I did all the positive encouragement/reinforcement, and he threw it in my face. It was an absolute power struggle with him and I. He's super strong-willed. I know exactly how you feel. On a positive note, when I started punishing, and I stood my ground, he eventually learned that I wasn't going to give in, and it did get easier. Hopefully that's what Logan will do with you!

Lars said...

Whenever I start to think about potty training Carden, you post something like this. I'm pretty sure Carden will be ten before I try now...