Saturday, April 10, 2010

I guess we all have our quirks

Just a little about my husband... He LOVES ties. He has about 50 of them. Yes, he does wear them to work every day but 50? Really? Not only that, but it's a regular occurrence for him to ask out of the blue "What do you think of my tie today?", "What's your favorite tie?", or "What's your favorite thing about this tie?" With a little eye roll, I humor him and answer his questions. I gave Scott one of those revolving tie hangers for Christmas one year that holds about 70 ties so he, of course, thinks he "needs" more. Using this fancy tie hanger, he has developed a system (don't ask me what it is) where he makes sure he wears every tie once before he wears the same tie again. Since everything is coordinated with the tie, sometimes this means I have to wash certain dress shirts or pants so he'll have the outfit to match the tie. Another thing about my husband...He LOVES numbers/statistics/facts. I can't tell you how many times we (by we I mean he talks while I try really hard to listen) have talked about probabilities, statistics, trends, etc. of anything and everything under the sun. Scott literally makes spreadsheets for everything from info about all our bank accounts and our medical expenses, to his test info on what he's studying and info on houses around the Phoenix area... Some of this he does for organizational purposes and some he does just for FUN. Well the other night, these two passions collided and I was stuck right in the middle of it all.

We were going to bed (I was already in bed actually) and Scott proceeds to put all his ties on our bed because he needs to reorganize them. We discussed color or print order. We discussed ties from his mission. We even discussed the origin of each tie. These exact words came out of his mouth and are the sole inspiration for this post, "I wish I could make a spreadsheet for all my ties." 45 minutes later, he decided to mix them all up and randomly organize them. I tried to convince him of what a great wife I was and that if I even began to talk about my shoes like he does about his ties I'd lose him in 30 seconds. He'd die before we ever saw 45 minutes. He just doesn't see the similarities in those two situations. As much as I HATE numbers and spreadsheets and statistics, I just can't help but love my husband more for it. We could not be more opposite. I love to talk about how I think and feel and he loves to talk about facts and numbers. I'm chatty. He's quiet. I love to dance around and sing to music and he hates dancing and listens to talk radio. I love reading. He hates it. After the tie organizing incident, he just made me realized how perfect we are for each other. I love that we're so different and can learn from it. Though we don't understand each other sometimes and probably never will in some instances, we can love and appreciate each other's quirks and differences.

4 comments:

Christi Pobst said...

I can totally see this whole night playing out! Hilarious!

For the record, when Scott did listen to music I HATED it. It was always loud and obnoxious so I think talk radio us better then his alternative.

Christi Pobst said...

I just read this to my Mom and Matt. My Mom died laughing and Matt said "HE COULD TOTALLY MAKE A SPEADSHEET!"

Matt also made a spread sheet of all the times Westin ate and slept.

Elder Bair said...

For my tyes on my mission. I make sure I wear ever tie once before I wear it again, and since there are 42 dyas in a transfer, I wear one every day and if at the end, A tie isn't worn, than that tells me, it is not wearable so it goes on a different rack. Ties are very important.

Nessa said...

This is so funny!!!