Thursday, September 10, 2009

Happy Birthday...I think

My birthday was September 4. This is always a joyous occasion for me since I love celebrating ME. The excuse "but it's my birthday" applies all month and I make sure we have multiple celebrations of birthday shopping, dinner, and parties, with cake, friends, family, etc. so it is sure to last as long as possible. Friday Scott gave me my present which was a shirt he picked out all by himself and a card he wrote telling me all the things he loves about me. I got some money and clothes from family and Matt, Scott's bro in law, made me an ice cream cake that was delicious. We haven't finished celebrating yet because I have lots of birthday shopping to do and we haven't gone out yet so things are going according to plan. But...this year feels a little different. I just turned 27. For those of you who are older than I am, I mean no disrespect. But wow! I'm getting old fast and it seems like I'm getting smacked in the face with it. I noticed toward the end of my pregnancy that I was getting dark circles around my eyes and here we are, almost 5 months later, and they never went away. I hear that's a sign of aging. I was told by my doctor for the first time the other day, "sometimes that just comes with age." I just about fell out of my chair and then I didn't know if I should laugh, because surely that was a joke, or cry. Also, it could be a combination of post baby body and my obviously ever increasing age, but I'm finding that no matter how much weight I lose I just can't seem to get that body I once had. I'm also nursing and, yes, I can already see "the ladies" succumbing to gravity. And last, I noticed as someone was editing my picture on their computer that I'm starting to get those little creases around my eyes that some call crow's feet. The funny thing about getting older is you remember when you're younger imagining how different you'll feel once you get to a certain age. But you always feel exactly the same as you did before with just a few more life experiences and knowledge. I went to an enrichment a couple days ago that talked about not taking on more than you can handle and prioritizing things in your life. With my birthday in mind, I really got to thinking how short life is and how important it is to just enjoy every minute of it and not procrastinate your dreams, or doing things that are important to you. I've also decided to try to not dwell on the floor that needs mopped or the laundry that needs to be folded or the fact that Scott leaves his shoes everywhere and doesn't wipe off the counters after he cooks. (I know. He cooks and I still get annoyed.) Last year on my birthday I was praying and fasting for a baby not knowing if it would ever happen and 3 days later we found out I was pregnant. There's no telling what this year will bring and I look forward to all the experiences that come, good or bad. I plan on focusing more on cherishing each new day I have with my sweet baby and loving husband. That's the good thing about getting older. You go through life with the experiences that make you who you are...and hopefully become a better person along the way doing the things you've always dreamed you'd do.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Well said. Oh, and happy birthday!

Kelli said...

I'm excited to read this post when you say, I just turned 30! You are absolutely right...we don't feel any different with each year, yet we imagined up quite a few changes in our heads.

You nailed most every woman's thoughts perfectly!

Happy belated birthday!

Josh and Hannah said...

I was thinking of you on your birthday and remembering all the fun we used to have. The year we paint-balled, the late night skits, sleep overs, etc. I hope that you had a great day!

Alicia said...

Oh man! Those were the good ol days!